Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Writing Update and Hurricane Arthur 2014

Things haven’t been going as planned for writing.

Once again, our entire mosquito population seems to love zooming around our house after dark, and this means distractions for me. I haven’t had a chance to work on Ten much at all since summer vacation started a week ago, and I’m starting to get a little frustrated.

Hurricane Arthur hit my province over the weekend, and I’m really lucky to have power right now, let alone an internet connection. We were on the eastern side of the storm when it hit on July 5, 2014, and that meant a huge windstorm. We lost power around 6 a.m. Saturday morning, it came back on around 9:30, went out around 12:30, and Hubby decided it was best for Son and I to go to my mother in law’s house if she had power. Son was cranky, and demanding we do something to “fix” the power outage.

We wound up spending a good chunk of the evening with my mother in law. On the way to her house, we noted there were trees down everywhere – not just broken branches like our poor ash tree suffered. There was even a tree down across the entire road about a mile north of our house, on our road that day. Thankfully, we could easily travel the other way, or the “long way” to town, called because instead of being nine miles like it is on our regular route, it’s twelve miles.

Mom’s power was on but her phone, cable and internet were out. Son didn’t mind. We watched a LOT of Star Trek on DVD that evening.

Our power was on when we got home around 11 p.m. after Hubby was finished work that evening, but it went out again at 3 a.m. Sunday morning. This time, the phone was out too, so I couldn’t drop a report into NS Power’s automated outage line.

Mid morning on Sunday, we prepared to head to my mother in law’s house again... Just as we were heading out the door, the power came back on, much to Son’s delight. We still went to see Mom and my brother in law for a bit, and even got a few cuddles from their cats, Puffy and Mr. Black.

When we got home, the power was still on, the phones were working, but the internet was out. I use a turbo stick, which runs off cell phone airways, and back here, I normally get between three bars and a perfect signal. The stick was not getting any at all most of the time. I was able to get on to let people know we’re fine and everything is okay here, but that was it.

It’s still not working properly and although I’m able to get on, it crashes after a few minutes. I barely had enough time to catch up this morning in only a couple of spots before it died again. I’m getting two bars at most the majority of the time it’s working, and it can drop down to “Data Service Not Available” at any time.

I’m glad that’s the only thing that isn’t working right at the moment... It could be worse. There are still people in the province without power or phone service right now, and not having internet all of the time is a small inconvenience compared to that. It’s been humid too, and I can’t imagine being in this heat without a fan going. I know NS Power is undermanned but you’d think other provinces would pitch in and help... Then again, it seems Ottawa doesn’t care about anything or anyone east of Quebec’s easternmost border...

While I’m unable to be online, I’m working on getting the final edits for “Away to Me” out of the way before it is sent off to the Alpha Reading Team, or “ART” for short. If I can’t send it to them from here, I may wind up having to take a memory stick with everything on it to either a public spot or a family member’s house to send it. Hopefully the internet lasts that long, or is back to somewhat normal by the 20th, my deadline to have it to all three of them!

To all affected by Hurricane/Post Tropical Storm Arthur: I hope y’all are safe, and that things go back to normal ASAP! I haven’t heard of any deaths, but I know the damage has been astronomical, comparable to Hurricane Juan in September of 2003. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.


Have a great week everyone. I’ll drop a quick update when I can, and if I get anything done in Ten in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment