Saturday, May 17, 2014

Catching Up...

Ever have one of those weeks when you did something and don't really remember how you got from Point A to Point B?

*waves* I had one this past week, and I'm shaking my head at how fast things progressed, yet I don't remember doing all of it!

My husband worked a couple of evening shifts this week, so while he was upstairs napping each morning, I dove into the writing. Although it wasn't easy, I managed to get Chapter 12 on the go, clean up bits of Chapter 1 that were bugging me, and keep going.

Friday was the best day this week, it was a full day and I just wrote.

4800 words later, I came out of the fog long enough to get my son off the bus and went back to it. Chapter 13 was done in completion that day and I still can't believe how easy it was once I got into it... And the content of it. I know some of you out there are not going to believe I wrote this stuff when you finally get to read it, but I did... Yes, this seemingly sweet and innocent, vertically challenged rocker chick with a hidden geeky side knows how to write "that" kind of thing.

Y'all will find out what I mean when it finally comes out, whenever that happens.

I also did a word count on Eleven this past week, the first one since March. I was blown away by the progress in the last two months... I knew I was progressing quickly, but not this quickly with it!




As you can see in the photo (screenshot of MS Excel XP Pro, which is what I use to keep track of things like this), I had almost 53K on Thursday, before Friday's big addition. Combine that with Friday's work and it's almost 58K.

I'm over halfway to the maximum of 100K that most publishers in my genre prefer.

The thing is, I may not come close to hitting that. Eleven is over halfway finished, plot wise, and depending on how things go in Chapter 14, I may be splicing in a huge key event that takes place not long before the lead-in to the final scenes of the story.

Yes, I am that close everyone.

It feels weird to be seeing the light at the end of the writing tunnel with a WIP barely three months after the initial idea was conceived... I'm sure my longtime readers and friends remember the four month drought I had between the initial idea of Family Portraits and when I finally got into writing that story... It was over three months. No Regrets (both books/parts) took well over a year for me to really get moving in it (close to two years in reality).

I don't know... Maybe the simpler, shorter and lighter stories aren't that hard for me to write, now that I know how to do it. I am still learning though, and Eleven has been quite a learning experience for me so far.

I'm not going to say that Eleven is "the one" that will see me finally published somehow, but even if only me and my beta team are the only ones who ever read it, at least I tried and will keep trying with different stories and projects until I hit the jackpot.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment