Thursday, April 17, 2014

Moving Along...

It's only Thursday and my writing goals have been met and surpassed for the week already. I'm glad I was able to do something, because I wasn't sure if I would get any writing time this week. Friday is a statutory holiday here in Canada, and although my husband is working, schools are closed so Son is going to be home. That means if I tried to get anything done writing wise, it would take me an hour to do one short paragraph, because Son would be asking for help with different things and I wouldn't be able to think because of that dratted TV being on anyway.

Monday afternoon, Hubby took Son shopping with him after school, so I sneaked in a little addition to Chapter 6, finished it, and started Chapter 7, all in just over 2 hours. 

Tuesday was my only full writing day this week, and even though it was slow going, I managed to get a short scene that happens later on in the book written up and moved on a little in Chapter 7. I'm in the middle of a scene in the main file right now, and I hope to finish it sometime between now and the 23rd if I can do it. 

Next week is another short school week, but I think I have a writing day during one of the three days Son will be in school... And I plan on making the most of it. I have only a few writing days left in the 8 weeks between now and the end of the school year, and I want as much added to Eleven's rough draft that I can before I wind up writing late at night again... And my longtime readers and friends know what happens a lot of the time I write late at night - I write something that seems like a brilliant idea at the time, and wind up taking it out after seeing it in the light of day. For example: Summer of 2012, I write up what used to be Chapter 31 of the manuscripts that were "No Regrets" during a late night run, and after rereading it, decided it wouldn't work right - and it was also a situation that had been used a zillion times in my genre. So I chucked it and rewrote almost the entire chapter.

That was NOT fun, and I'd prefer to keep rewrites to a minimum in Eleven if I can. Compressing things, fleshing out scenes a little more and keeping things on track is one thing, rewriting something because of my "bright ideas" late at night is another. It frustrates me, and makes me wonder what I was thinking.

I guess the lack of caffeinated coffee on those late nights made the brain go off in silly directions....

The weekend is going to consist of me going over Eleven's main file with a fine toothed comb to see where the biggest problem areas are, and using color coded highlights to show which areas are passive, repetitive, wordy, etc, so I don't have to do that later... And so my Alpha reader (Sandra) doesn't have to point things like that out to me when she finally gets her copy of Draft One of it. A few typos were caught too, which means less for her and my Betas to catch. 

I'm learning so much this time around... And I can't stress it enough: Have someone else check your work BEFORE you send it out... Don't make the same mistake I did with the first manuscript!

Have a great long weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment