Saturday, March 8, 2014

Trial By Fire, Eleven Style...

This last week was bizarre to say the least. 

Son was home sick with a cold on Tuesday and Wednesday, and of course, my stupid immune system decided *I* "had" to catch it too. Both of us have been sneezing and coughing like there's no tomorrow, and my head feels like it's full of cement. I'm feeling a bit better today, but my ribs and back are so sore from sneezing and coughing, and I think I've taken more aspirin this last week than I had in the month previous. Yeah, I'm that sore! *wincing*

Anyway, despite being so sick, I still managed to surpass my writing goals this week... I had three: 1) Get 750 words of new material added to either Ten or Eleven - I added 1600 words to various parts of Eleven. 2) Get at least one scene idea jotted down for Eleven - I managed to get two, one "general" scene idea, and one "over 18" one. 3) Last but not least, I wanted to do a reread/edit on Eleven's main file and various parts - which I did on Tuesday, before I was feeling too rotten to think.

I also did a word count on what I have for Eleven so far... It's up close to 9000 words at this point, almost a tenth of my preset "maximum" for a new story. I am giving myself some leeway, 125 grand tops, just in case I am wordy by times and have a lot of compressions/rewrites, etc ahead of me. Playing it safe here!

I'm not even really "into" writing this new one yet by a long shot. What's it going to turn into when I finally get really rolling with it? Another 200,000+ word epic? I hope not, because I'd really like to learn to write shorter, less complicated stories instead of the ones with a zillion plot twists like the "Legacies" series. *SIGH*

I'm looking at it and wondering if I'm being too darn wordy again even with it being choppy in a few spots, and how parts of it need to be a little more fleshed out with a couple of power packed sentences. 

I don't know... I'm just going to have to wing it, do my best to find the right balance between getting the descriptions etc in and not being overly wordy in the meantime. Eleven's plot isn't as simple as Ten's, and it's a lot less complicated than the Legacies series, but could turn into something huge if I'm not careful. I'll have to see what one of my betas have to say when they finally get a copy of it and go from there.

March Break for our school district is March 10 to 14th, so I don't really have any "set" writing goals for this coming week, other than plugging away at the Legacies series revamp. That said, if I can even get 200 words added to Eleven somehow along the way, I'm darn well going to do it!

Don't forget that if you live in North America like I do, the clocks go ahead tonight. Daylight savings time. Blah. I don't know about my readers, but I'm always knocked off kilter for a couple of months after the time change, and don't really fully adjust to it until it's almost time to put the clocks back in the fall! *SIGH* We have only thirteen days left before the equinox... Can't wait to see warmer weather for a change, this past winter was nuts, one of the coldest my end of southeast Canada has seen in years!

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment