Saturday, December 7, 2013

Revisions, Rewrites, Compressions and Other Things...

I have been trying to get the new idea off of the ground, but it's not quite gelling yet. That tells me I may need another month or so away from forcing myself to write to let the batteries recharge a little more. It's hard going from one book to another sometimes, especially if it's a new idea with brand new characters, situations, pasts and everything else, or it is in my case. This is an idea that came to me this past month or so, courtesy of two good friends of mine that are also fellow authors, so I'm still trying to get into synch with it and get things moving along in that one.

That said, a lot happened in Book 2's edits. This past week, I reread the entire manuscript from start to finish and got a lot of the compressions, rewrites, editing and overhauls of certain spots completed in the meantime. So far, it's looking a lot better and closer to my standards for a second draft of a manuscript. It's still not there yet, and there is still a lot to do in it before I can do another huge copy/paste into a new document and put it into Draft Three. 

The formatting is up to Draft Three now. Chapters now start on a new page, just like a lot of publishers like, it's in "justified" alignment (meaning the text is lined up with both left and right margins), and a lot of other things. I had written this one in Times New Roman size 12 from the start, so I'd have a lot less to do in later drafts, and I also put it with indentations at the start of a paragraph from the time I started draft one of this manuscript, again so I don't have as much to do that way in later drafts. There are one inch (2.5 cm) margins all around and I am liking the way the formatting on this one looks at this point in time.

The major edit that was bothering me this week was in the final ten pages of the manuscript. I had written things up one way, but decided it would be too boring for the reader, so I switched things around and it looks and reads a lot better now. The reader will see a lot of loose ends tied up, and no more questions about certain things will still be there at the end of this one. 

I'm not saying I'll "never" write another book with that cast of characters, I'm saying it's "not likely". Look what happened the last time I said "never"... I don't want to eat my own words again, so I'm being cautious from now on!

When Book 2 goes into Draft Three mode, I will be sending a copy to Sandra, for her reading pleasure. I hope she likes it as much as she liked Book 1/"No Regrets"....

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll update if anything new happens here writing wise, and my annual look back at the year will be coming up either later this month or first thing in January. Watch for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment