Monday, November 25, 2013

Recharging and A Man in a Blue Box...

Things have been back and forth between the creative juices flowing and being "plugged" the last week or so.

Book 2 went into stasis three weeks ago today, and although it's fading from the mind a bit more, I'm still resisting the urge to open it. There hasn't been enough time for me to pick out any minor errors at this point, and I wouldn't mind finishing getting out of the mindset of the series before I look at it again. Hopefully my mind will be able to handle it by the new year. If not, I will put it back in stasis and leave it there until I'm ready to look at it without wanting to write another sequel or a side story based upon that particular group of characters.

I've been distracting myself with various things so I do not go near it. Thankfully, there has been plenty of things to keep my mind off of that manuscript and keep me out of it! The last few weeks, our sci-fi channel has had a lot of specials about Doctor Who on. I'm a huge fan of the revival part of that particular series, and have seen a few of the "classic" episodes, which were well done for their time. I've seen at least part of one episode from the first incarnation of the Doctor up, and both episodes that had Eight into them. All were well done and seeing classic DW stuff made me an even bigger fan of the show. I do admit my favorite out of the incarnations to date is Ten, played by David Tennant, but I love Eleven and so many other ones too. I'm really looking forward to Series/Season 8 of the revival and seeing the adventures Twelve goes on with current companion, Clara. I'm going to cry when Eleven goes through his regeneration, but the show must go on.

This past weekend, I didn't even think about writing at all. I was too absorbed in all of the Doctor Who specials that were on and finally, the much anticipated 50th Anniversary special hit the airwaves. I was offline while it was on, so I would not be distracted by random squirrels around the internet, and it blew my mind. I laughed, I cried, I cheered, I clapped, then I did it all over again. I loved seeing David Tennant appear in his old role of Ten, and watching him and Matt Smith, who plays Eleven and the current incarnation, interacting, and seeing John Hurt as the War Doctor was amazing. They are brilliant actors, and all play their role in Doctor Who perfectly. It was probably the best episode ever in my opinion, and in the revival series of the show, there is no such thing as a "terrible episode" in my mind. The writers are very talented and know how to please us fans. It's always a fun ride with that show, if you ask me!

I adore science fiction, but can't write it at all... I do admire anyone who can, because their imagination is outstanding, and to come up with an entire world, species, and so on, is just amazing. 

Me, I think I'm kind of boring in the fact I prefer to write contemporary/modern day stuff. Oh well, if one person loves my work, that's the main thing, right?

Anyway, things have started a little bit with Untitled 9. I had set up the characters and some of the locations/sites for it a couple of weeks ago, and believe it or not, I have started Chapter One. It's only a page or so, but it's a start, and with some luck and some more time to get the writing batteries recharged, I'll be able to continue on in it. I also have a few more ideas down in the file for that, and know a little more about what's going to happen between the start of the story and its finale.

HOW one of the characters winds up in their situation at the start of it is still somewhat of a mystery. I do have an idea on how it happens, but the details still haven't been revealed to me as of this date. Yeah, one more "star" in that "constellation" has been revealed to me, but I'm still missing most of it, and most of the other "stars in the sky" right now. I just hope as time marches on, the "cloud cover and haze" will "lift" and more "stars" will be revealed to me so I can get absorbed by the new idea. I'm still not sure what's going to come out of it, but I do know if this one takes over the mind like the previous two manuscripts did, I'm in trouble.

Or, should I say "I'm in writing heaven"? *laughs* 

It still feels odd not to be eating, sleeping and breathing a story right now, but I'm optimistic another one will suck me in again soon, once the writing batteries are fully recharged, ideas start coming clearer, and now that I'm not counting down the days to the 50th Anniversary special of Doctor Who.

Have a great week, everyone! I'll post an update if/when things progress, or if I wind up doing something else creative wise in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment