Saturday, October 5, 2013

Writing Like A Squirrel On Speed Part 2

As mentioned in my previous entry, between Monday and Tuesday, I managed to add another 10,000 words to Book 2, and had another writing day this past Friday.

I was thinking on things as I was doing the initial reread/edit of the material I had added earlier this week, and realized I hadn't touched on something that was mentioned, and I was way ahead of my timeline for the story. So I added something in to wrap up Chapter 35 yesterday, to touch on that particular subject a bit, and to push things back with the build up to the UH OH part a little bit. So far, so good and things are now starting to line up a bit better. I've also decided that the big discovery made by the leading lady will be pushed forward about another week or so, to push the timeline back on track better as well. I was about six weeks ahead of what I had planned so this will make a big difference with getting everything back on track.

With the "insert" in Chapter 35, the discovery was pushed into Chapter 36 (the reader will know she found something but not what it is for a while), and I already know what's going to happen right after those scenes. The next big hurdle is how much to share with the reader about what was really going on while walking the fine line between too much and too little. I'm not that far from the big splice and with a little more build up to it, I'll be doing that sometime soon, hopefully before the new year.

All in all, it was a fifteen thousand word week, and I'm pleased with myself, even if I am paying up for it!

I can tell I got a lot done this week. Once again, I'm spaced out, I'm exhausted mentally and the hands are screaming in protest. It's all worth it though, because I'm doing what I love to do, and enjoying every second of the easier part of getting a book published. Yes, the writing is the easiest parts of it believe it or not! I find the editing, proofing, etc can be a lot harder especially where the mind will insert a missing word into a document and you do NOT notice it, etc. 

It's a tough job but someone has to do it, right? We wouldn't have any great books to enjoy if others didn't put their brains and necks on the line to produce stories that others enjoy and love after all.

I don't have a lot of writing time ahead of me next week, but that could be classed as a good thing after all I managed to get done this past week. I do need to slow down, relax and take a break once in a while, else I'll burn myself out again and that is NEVER a good thing for an author.

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment