Thursday, September 26, 2013

No Official Writing Day? No Problem!

Friday is a school inservice and Hubby didn't work any day shifts during the days that Son was in school this week, but it was still a productive week for me writing wise.

Monday, I added over 3000 words to Chapter 32. However, after looking it over and realizing nothing new really came out of that part until almost the very end of it, I decided it needed to be condensed or removed. It was dragging things down a little and I was worried the reader may get bored. So after contemplating for a while, I decided to condense it into a few paragraphs with a few key points highlighted instead. It went from over 7 pages down to one and a half after the condensing. The reader will still know what happened but only the "quick version" of it and the story will progress a little faster in that spot.

Chapter 32 continues with a little humor, then more serious scenes. I'm really starting to build up to the big UH OH my dear friend and mentor, Sandra, shot at me back in the spring and if I can do it JUST SO, I may have ten chapters or less to add into the gap before the big splice. Yes, I have a draft of the UH OH part written up already, although it's not completed and needs a tonne of tweaking to fit in with the rest of the story. I started writing that up in mid-March, and I don't think I had up to Chapter 10 in the main manuscript at that point so I wasn't sure about a lot of things then, like how the leading man interacts with certain members of the leading lady's family and other stuff. I have a lot of work to do just to get the UH OH part up to snuff, and that's an understatement. Thank the stars I am not on a deadline, I'll say that much!

I managed to wrap up Chapter 32, and get into Chapter 33. That's about one third to halfway finished at this point. Things are "condensed" a little in that chapter by times too, because if I wrote up everything that was being said, etc, the reader would get bored. It's another "going over" what they found out so far with the mystery of the book, and although some key points are shown, I thought it was best to keep it short and simple and keep moving onward.

I had been prepared to have only editing time this week, but with circumstances and my husband getting called into work on two days, I managed to get some writing time in and I'm grateful for it. I was ready to start chomping on the monitor again, but luckily, I didn't have to. 

The downside of all of the extra writing time is that my brain feels like it went through the rinse cycle, my eyes feel like they're going to start bleeding in protest at any time, and the CTS has been acting up, big time. I don't have any more writing time ahead until next week sometime, so I'm going to take the weekend off from adding anything new, and just edit, proof and relax for a few hours. I need a short break from it, just a few days, due to the emotional intensity of the last couple of chapters and the fact I don't want to get burned out. Last year this time, things were moving quickly with "No Regrets" and although I was a lot further along in that story this time last year than I am with Book 2 now, Book 2 is sucking me in almost as much as "No Regrets" was in the last weeks before Draft 1 of that story was finished. In some ways, that's a good thing, in others - notably due to the fact I have limited writing time! - not so good. 

Then, on the other hand, maybe it's a darn good thing I'm only able to write part time, so I do NOT burn myself out or make myself sick?

Yes, I'm being the eternal optimist, and I think my sunny nature is showing again. *laughs*

Have a great weekend everyone! If you're a CSI addict like I am, I hope you enjoyed the Season 14 premiere last night. I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment