Friday, May 3, 2013

On a Roll, and a Milestone!

Another week has gone by and things fell into place a lot more smoothly than I had hoped...
Tuesday was a writing day for me and I dove into Chapter 9, breezed through the remainder of that chapter and got into Chapter 10.
Wednesday afternoon, Hubby took our son bowling so I had a few hours to myself again. Of course, I went offline and began writing again. I finished Chapter 10 and started Chapter 11.
Today was another writing day and although I thought things would move slowly due to having a cold and the nature of this part of the manuscript, but I guess the story is really starting to suck me in because I did a lot more today than I had hoped to get done! Chapter 11 was completed before I realized it and around 12:30 p.m. Atlantic time, I did a copy and paste to splice in a scene! 
I'm not going to say what it was about, but it's one I had written up back in January over five hours and only three pages or so... The one I had a VERY strong image of it in my mind and had to work around my son's demands and him hanging around the computer because school was canceled that day. 
Now, I had to do a LOT of tweaking with it to get it to fit into the story smoothly. I had originally had it set at a location that wasn't exactly logical for the part of the province this chapter happens to be set within. So I took the time to really tweak it until it was perfect and then polished it up so everything was perfect--after I had spliced it into the main manuscript file. I didn't want to mess around with the original file itself because I wanted to have it for my own records so I waited to do the final tweaks/edits after it was added.
It looks good and after things were smoothed out and perfected, I continued on in the main manuscript file.
I'm now halfway through Chapter 12. Today alone, with the splice, I added about 11 or so pages worth of stuff!
No wonder why my eyes feel like they're being ripped out of their sockets... 
I'm not sure exactly how many pages were added this week, but I'm pretty sure it's over 20, if not closer to thirty.
No wonder why I feel like I was dragged through a knothole crossways! I managed to get a lot done this week, and I'm very pleased with all of it!
Of course, all of this stuff does need work. It is a first draft, after all, and things will be taken out, added in, etc over time and when FP goes into its second draft.
I'm thinking this story is going to be close to the length of its predecessor, and if it is, oh boy... It's going to be one heck of a duology with both books!
I haven't done a word count on the main manuscript file yet but I'd be willing to bet it's over 50,000 words, if not closer to 75,000... And that does NOT include the gem of an idea my beloved mentor shot at me back in March! *BLINK*
Yes, I can see this one being as long as its predecessor even if it does cover a much shorter time span... 
Anyway I hope y'all have a great weekend! I know I'll be avoiding looking at Word a lot due to eyestrain from working all week. Hopefully the eyes will be better by the time Monday rolls around...
~Valerie-June~                

No comments:

Post a Comment