Monday, January 21, 2013

Recharging....

It's been an interesting couple of weeks with my creativity.
NR went into Draft 3 mode just before the New Year and I've been letting it perk on and off the last couple of weeks. I haven't felt like working on it a lot lately, because it was sent off to another friend to edit for me. I have about another month or so until our "deadline" to wait so I've been trying to work on other things in the meantime.
I did try working on different things writing wise... I want to get moving on the RH rewrite but that wasn't working very well... Since NR is slowly getting closer to being sent out to various publishers, etc, I wanted to get to work on Untitled 8 and get moving on its first draft
Nothing worked. I kept drawing blanks and set things aside for a while. After talking things over with some friends, I realized that my writing batteries were probably drained from working on NR and being so darn absorbed by it for so long that they needed a recharge.
I'm not one that's able to stay away from creative stuff for very long though. Like others who NEED to create something out there, feeding my creative streak is vital to me and I had to do something creative while waiting for the writing batteries to recharge and rest for a while.
I'm interested in photography. I'm terrible at it but I thought what the heck, I may as well give it a whirl... Besides, I had already told my beloved mentor that I'd create a picture or photo for her to use as a cover for Book 2 of her Keyholder's Castle series when it comes out later this winter or spring, and wanted to get that done before she was ready to publish Book 2.
My old Kodak was dead. The flash died last year and although it still takes good pictures in bright light, I needed a flash camera to do what I had envisioned for my mentor's book. I broke down and ordered another camera on New Year's eve. It was here three days early (THANK YOU!) and within a few days, I was happily setting up a "prop area" in the kitchen to create some unique photos and hoped my visions would come to life.
First, I tried my hand at some unique pictures for my author's page. Those turned out pretty good considering the lighting, the fact that the material I was using was shiny and reflected the flash and the pink roses looked white in the originals... Thanks to MS Photo Editor, I managed to get the colors almost perfect!
Here's one of my own work:
Please note the copyright notice on the photo...
I wanted something that represented ME and different things about NR in the picture... The dreamcatcher is the one I made right after I finished draft 1 of NR and the shells represent the rugged coastline of Nova Scotia. Pink roses (notably the wild ones) are my favorite flower and since I'm a bookworm when I'm not working on my own writing, the books represent that. The bottom book is "Sinner's Creed" by Scott Stapp with its dust jacket removed believe it or not! LOL
I can't show off the pictures I made for my mentor, those were designed for HER work and will only be shared when she okays it, but they'll be put in Facebook when the time comes.
Well, it seemed that doing something other than writing did work after a while. I love photography but it's not my first love after all...
Last week, I was looking at Untitled 8 again and it hit me why it wasn't working. It seems that the first part of it didn't seem very logical and it was boring to be blunt. In some ways it started off too much like NR did so I decided a complete overhaul of the ENTIRE thing was necessary if I ever wanted to finish it.
I am now putting in a prologue, which is the last chapter of NR but changed to a different character's point of view and their reaction, etc. I'm not saying WHAT the last chapter of NR is about, only certain people know that right now, but y'all will find out once NR is available for sale. *nyah*
I also changed the circumstances of the start... In the original, the leading lady meets the leading man for the first time in Chapter 1 and it didn't feel right to me, so that's been changed. Thanks to some brainstorming with my mentor, I've also changed a LOT more and will be adding in a few things... And there are some things in NR that were "touched on" but never fully tied up so I'll be doing that in this story also. 
I've also set it up for things to happen a lot quicker than they did at the start of NR... Not going into details but those who know how NR starts, etc and know who the main characters are in Untitled 8 will get what I mean. *wink*
Something happened on this past Friday that I thought would NOT happen for a few more weeks too... Apparently, letting the writing batteries rest for a while and the brainstorming with my mentor pumped up the creative energies more than I thought...
Friday, despite having my son home because school was canceled, the cat running me over or doing goofy stuff elsewhere in the house, being distracted constantly, etc, I managed to get a small but KEY scene written up for Untitled 8! It took me over FIVE HOURS to get three pages written up, it's VERY rough and needs a tonne of editing, stuff added and may even be fully rewritten but it has the bulk of what I wanted in the scene THERE and I'm thinking that if I can get it just so, it'll be one heck of a powerful scene. It is one that happens a little later in Untitled 8 so it's going to be "spliced" in like some of the stuff was in NR's first part and eventually the first part of Part Two.
The ideas are still flowing for it and I'm jotting them down as they come to me. They are coming so fast sometimes it's hard to keep up with them but I AM getting them down, thank the stars!
I have hopefully two writing days this week, if the weather cooperates. If things do line up, I'm darn well going to try to get going with revising the "prologue" and maybe even try to get a flashback scene written up, along with setting up Chapter 1 of this revision/overhaul of the start of the story. 
If this story engulfs me like NR did, I'm going to be thinking about it 24/7 and not be able to focus on much else... hehehehehe!
Anyway, I am very happy to be back into it a little bit. Things may go by fits and starts for a while but I think once I settle into it and things come to me more and more, it should flow a lot easier and get finished after a while. If I can do it, I'd like this one to be done by 2018 if possible. I know, five years seems like a long time but with the way things are here, it's a reasonable goal. I had originally set up NR's first draft to be done by the end of September 2011 and y'all know how that went. PFFFFT! doesn't cover it! LOL
Have a wonderful week everyone! I'll update things as they happen.          

No comments:

Post a Comment