Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Shifting Gears, Part 1: The Initial Crash Back to Earth

It's been less than 96 hours since NR was finished and it's finally starting to sink in that the main part of the story is finished...
It's weird. I've been so darn used to having it open on the desktop taskbar when I'm watching Sanctuary, talking to people in Facebook, checking MW and doing other stuff but now that it's NOT there, I'm finding myself with a lot of time on my hands.
NR is currently perking at the moment. This is deliberate so it fades from my mind for a while so I can catch errors, typos, grammar screw ups, verb tenses and such a LOT easier in Draft 2.
It's hard for me at the moment because I'm still reeling from the fact draft 1 IS done and I'm at odds on what to do with myself until things settle down in my mind and I can get on with things. I'm starting to go a little crazy... I have no idea what to do while I'm sitting here at the computer, helping Penth in Sanctuary and other things. I'd play games in FB but only three of them work for me due to something being screwed up in Firefox and there is NO WAY IN HELL I'm using another browser, my computer HATES Chrome and I do NOT like Internet Explorer so that's out. I'm not one for doing things like knitting, sewing, etc either so those are out too. Heck, I'm just not an arts and crafts person period for that matter! It's too soon for me to try to dive into RH, #6 or another story because my mind is still focused on NR in a lot of ways and until it fades a little more, I won't be writing at all in any story I have on the go or will be starting sometime. It's too soon, too fresh and I'm too shaky to start or work on much right now.
Still, the hands want to be busy and so does the mind... So although I am NOT an arts and crafts person, I did something yesterday that kinda shocked some of my friends. 
I got a do it yourself dreamcatcher kit and did the entire thing. 
Yep, I did it. I had to keep my mind on SOMETHING other than NR and for a while it worked. My hands were just about dead, I was cursing a blue streak and I had to redo parts of it once or twice by the time it was done but the result was well worth it. It turned out pretty darn good for a first try!

Not bad for a first try! LOL 
I had purchased the kit because I wanted something nice to add to some original pictures I'll be having done for my author's page (link is in my Links area to the left!) and NR's book cover if I ever go the self publishing route. I'm part Mi'kMaq (Nation in my area, Nova Scotia), and I wanted to have something incorporated into the cover picture of my page or on NR's cover that represented that part of my heritage... Plus the leading man in NR has First Nations blood in him so that will represent that part of NR also. (See, I DO give hints away once in a while! LOL
I also purchased some other things that will represent NR when the time comes but that's between me, my beloved mentor, my brother in law and the doorpost!
I have the stuff for the Book 2 cover of Sandra (Durham)'s Keyholder's Castle series, and I hope to get that done very soon. I desperately need a creative outlet and I want to do some photography, original pictures, but stuff that still focuses on my work or Sandra's books. It'll make me feel like I'm doing SOMETHING with it but not actually attacking NR or ripping my hair out at the roots. 
It's been a VERY rough transition for me so far, but hopefully as time moves forward, I'll go back into the writing groove, get used to NOT working on NR with new material and get into RH's rewrite or #6 or even a new story. I have a couple of ideas floating around but they haven't fully "gelled" yet and I don't think they will for a while... NR is still pretty darn fresh in the brain so it will be a few days at the least before anything new starts happening.
I'll be okay once I get my gears fully shifted, my beloved mentor told me that, and she's right. It's just the transition and shock to the system that sucks and until I'm out of this mode, I'm going to be going a little crazy... I'm to the point of where I'm considering buying a few more dreamcatcher kits and doing those despite how badly it will hurt the carpal tunnel syndrome... And I'm considering getting some beads, etc to make new earrings for myself and possibly others. Just to keep my hands and mind occupied during the transition. 
The funny thing is, I am NOT an arts and crafts girl, I normally don't do much outside of reading, listening to music or writing on a daily basis... So yeah, this is VERY odd behavior for me.
Slowly going insane...

No comments:

Post a Comment