Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Ride Gets Wilder...

Another week and two more writing marathon days behind me.
Chapter 31 was started, the roller coaster ride continuing a little more and some strong revelations come out in that chapter. Some characters do some soul searching and find out some things about themselves, and some changes are made. I attacked 31 on Wednesday, managed to wrap it up and move on to the start of Chapter 32, where the next shot of the roller coaster ride begins.
Yesterday was a very intense writing day for me. Once I got into the writing, it went so quickly that I was done over 7 pages worth of intense, very emotional and sometimes scary material by the time my son got home from school. Since I wanted to wrap up the scene (it's a LONG one!) before I lost the rest of it, I worked on it even after both Hubby and Son were home... Thankfully, my husband did his best to keep Son occupied until I had it finished and did a quick reread on it.
I managed to write over TEN pages worth yesterday and by the time I was done, I was exhausted, both mentally and physically, but I still had the "writing high" I get when I get on a roll and after Son's computer time was finished and he was in bed, I dove right back into working on NR. 
Due to circumstances, I didn't get Chapter 33 going but I did get some editing done on Chapter 32 and other things in it between chatting with the crew in Sanctuary and some of my friends from another larger forum in Facebook.
I'm now looking at Chapter 32 and thinking maybe it's too intense to put all of that in one scene. It's worse than a roller coaster ride, it's in the "ninth level of Hell" by times as a friend of mine from MW would say. I may rework it a little bit to give the characters a few hours to catch their breath, I just have to find the right way to do it and the right spot to do it in. So many things happen so fast in that area that it's hard to find the right spot to put a break in. I'll find it, it's just a matter of time. 
Otherwise, I did get everything out that I wanted to, and more, plus developed the characters a little more in that area. One sees their strengths, their weaknesses and a lot of the changes they go through exposed and ripped raw in that one chapter. I think it's some of the best writing I've done in a long time, quality wise.
I'll be slowly working on things again this coming week. I only have one writing day (no school on Friday) so I'll be diving into things as much as I can be when things are somewhat quiet around here. 
I am slowly starting to see the light at the end of the writing tunnel. I'm thinking a few more chapters before the grande finale and the epilogue... Maybe 5 to 10 at most, it all depends on how detailed but quickly I can get things moving and wrapped up again and if I can do it JUST RIGHT, maybe I'll have this story's first draft finished before the end of the year if things fall into place. If not, hopefully by the time school gets out for the summer in late June!
After NR's first draft is finished, the work will not be done on it... I still have to edit it with a fine toothed comb to death, have someone else look at it (Mommy-in-law!) and proofread it a zillion times before I can send it out to publishers. If I wind up going the self publishing route, I'll be sending it to the copyright office myself and doing a LOT more. It could be at least another year after draft 1 is done before it finally hits the shelves, either in traditional book form or as an e-book.
Recently, talk about different things related to writing, publishing, etc came up in different spots and my thoughts are... If I can publish ONE book somehow, sometime, and have ONE person like it, my work is done. I don't need to be a best selling author or make a zillion dollars off of my work... I'm one of the ones who write because it's something I love to do and can't live without writing something!
My main problem is the fact I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my work. If I don't think it's up to my insanely high standards for my own work, I rework it... Sometimes to death! In some cases, that's a good thing, others, not so much. I have to find a balance between going overboard with things but yet not go the way of not enough. Talk about a fine line to walk! Sheesh.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone. 
~Veridian~

No comments:

Post a Comment