Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Plugging Along... Or Should I Say "I'm Driving Down A Hill With NO Brakes"??

Holy smokes, I think I'm losing my mind...
I'm back to the point where NR won't leave me alone... I'm eating, breathing and sleeping the darn thing again and I'm wondering if it's going to be the death of me. No matter what I'm doing, it's there, nagging me to work on it... It could be editing, making sure the story itself is flowing, an idea for it hits me or if I'm actually adding new material to it. I can almost hear the characters in it telling me, no SCREAMING at me, to finish telling their story and let the world know about them and their journey.
Like I said on my Facebook profiles this morning, we writers HAVE to write... It's a necessity for us, in order to survive and feel ALIVE... It can't be ignored, we'll go out of our minds... Once we're bitten by the writing bug, there is no cure for it, we are GONERS! 
Anyone who writes at all for the love of it will understand what I mean, fully, and I can see y'all nodding and smiling because you know I'm just like y'all in that way. 
I'm also to the point now where I can't sleep, I'm wanting to work on NR 24/7... It's good for the drive and determination to finish it but not so good for my health. One needs to sleep, eat, and have a bit of real life happening else they'll get sick after all, and unless I remind myself to sit back, take a break and come back to reality once in a while, I'll make myself ill. My mentor reminded me of that just last night and she is so right. Like me, she's lost herself in her stories and has to yank herself out of them for a while to recharge. Writing may be part of our life-force but we do need a break from it once in a while after all!
Yesterday was one of those "all consuming" days for me... Hubby was home but since he isn't working today like I thought he was, he let me work... He turned the TV volume down to ultra low, stayed out of my way and didn't talk to me the entire time I had my earplugs in and was concentrating on getting Chapter 33 of NR out of the way.
It took me pretty much all day, into the evening and the early hours of the morning to finish draft 1 of C33, but it's done. I have to do a FULL edit on it (not a quick one like I did last night) and I'm seeing a few spots where it could use some tweaking but so far, it's getting close to my insanely high standards. 
The chapter is lighter than C32, a lot in fact. There are a few places where one sees some silliness and one character gets one HECK of a goofy shock (happy!) and there are some.. AHEM... spots that are NOT fit for anyone under 18 in the chapter. I thought after what happened in C32, everyone needed a bit of a break and the mood needed to be a little lighter... Things will get back to the "ninth level of hell" again but for the moment, things are evening out for everyone in the story.
I didn't start working on this story full time until fall of last year and looking back, I had never thought it would turn out to be so... Long. When I came up with the original idea in 2010, I thought it would turn out to be an average love story, or a short story. As time went on and the ideas, etc kept flowing and NR got longer and longer, it finally hit me that I was writing a full length novel and maybe, just maybe, I'll finish something more than 40,000 words... RH, my first full attempt, was under 36,000 and I didn't send it out to a publisher, it was too short and wasn't "good enough" in my opinion. 
Well, NR hit the 100,000 mark this past summer and it's gotten a LOT longer in the months since then. I haven't done a full word count on it lately but I'm betting it's pretty darn close to 130,000 words!
That said, I do see some spots where it wouldn't hurt the storyline if I 86'ed a few things, notably in the middle part of the story, near the area where we go from Part 1 to Part 2. It kind of drags in the areas I'm referring to and I'm thinking that if they were removed, things would be a lot smoother... And if it's taken out, it would add to the mystery that's revealed later on in Part 2.
Now y'all see what I mean about having a LOT more work to do with a story even after Draft 1 is finished, or before that?
I also see how many changes I've made to things after I got into it last fall... Remember the MMG file, or "interlude" as my mentor called it? I used to talk about in the earlier blog entries here but scrapped it after trying to write it up but kept failing. 86'ing that and adding in the occasional flashback to that "gap" was probably one of the best things I ever did in regards to NR. That part was NOT a pleasure to write... In fact, it was turning into more of a chore and something I didn't want to work on instead of a labor of love like the rest of NR has turned out to be! I still want to bash my head against the wall each time I think about working on that part and how insane it was to even think about putting something like that in the story! Good grief.
I'm finally starting to see a brighter light at the end of this writing tunnel... I'm thinking NR is about 3/4 of the way finished, first draft that is, and the closer I get to finishing it, the more I want to work on it... The more I work on it, the closer and brighter that light gets... And the cycle continues.
I'm probably going to be bald and more than half insane by the time I'm finished NR (that includes proofing and getting it published!) but I think in the end, it will be more than worth it. I'll finally have their story finished and out there, and maybe, just maybe, the darn thing will stop haunting me day and night!
Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone... And for my fellow CSI fans, don't forget the Season 13 premiere is TONIGHT! Y'all know where I'll be... It'll be nice to have an hour's break from the writing to enjoy someone else's story for a change!
~Veridian~

No comments:

Post a Comment